Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Recycle and use Recyle

Over the last few months I have been saving bottles. I have a nice selection of Ice Wine, Red Wine, Cordial, Juice and Tea bottles that all have an interesting shape or color.

The bottles started to take up too much space so I now have a mini production line in my basement, a bottle goes in overnight and out the next day, then another bottle goes in overnight....

I melt them into shallow hand made forms to cradle a spoon. I also add more form under the neck of the bottle so it becomes a handle and add decorative wire so it can be hung on a wall while not in use.

The bottle thing all started because of one evening after a happy hour wine or two at the local Irish bar. I decided to rehydrate with a sparkling water and asked if I could take the bottle home because I melt them in my kiln to make spoon rests. I even said I would bring a flattened one to show them. Over several weeks the word spread in the bar to the point where I had promised spoon rests to several people. This past Friday was delivery day and I took several bottles to the bar to distribute to everyone :-)

Now I have delivered the bottles I promised, I'm still in production mode; a bottle goes in the kiln overnight and out the next day, then another bottle goes in overnight....Not every bottle that comes out of the kiln is a winner, some don't flatten completely, or the color is not as vibrant or they just look plain ugly. Luckily for now I'm having a good run, most of my bottles have flattened with very few trapped bubbles and the colors have been amazing. So, if it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it and I will continue to flattened bottles for reuse until I run out of bottles to recycle!

PLEASE BE GREEN
Remember to always recycle, and complete the cycle by using products made from recycled materials!!!!

No comments: